Help someone in Armenia today by giving them a micro business loan!
X AD - Gegharkunik Marz
Artsvanist village (1734 v) till 1968 N. Aluchalu, founded in 1829-30 by migrants from Alashkert. As the road reaches the center of the village, bear half-left at the war memorial and follow the gorge a few hundred meters to Vanevan*, an important work of 10th c. regional architecture. The main church of S. Grigor (left) was built in 903 by Prince Shapuh Bagratuni, brother of King Smbat, and his sister Mariam. The right-hand church may be contemporary, but the gavit between them was added later. There is a spring and a shallow cave behind the monastery. Father Tiratur Hagopian, son and grandson of priests serving this village, is attempting to revive Vanevan as the center of an active parish. Continuing straight S through the village, one sees on the left across the gorge remains of an early cemetery and church. 3 km S is Kolataki S. Astvatsatsin of late 9th-early 10th c., and Hnevank of 10th c. In the same area is Bruti Berd cyclopean fortress. [Source: Rediscover Armenia Guide]