Help someone in Armenia today by giving them a micro business loan!
Marseille (alternative spelling: Marseilles) is the second largest city in France. It is located on the Mediterranean Sea. It is France's largest commercial port and the largest port in the Mediterranean. Various figures estimate that there are around 100,000 Armenians in or around Marseille.
Marseille boasts 12 Armenian churches and an Armenian cathedral, the largest Armenian school in western Europe, an Armenian chamber of commerce, and many other Armenian organizations. Garo Hovsepian is mayor of the 7th sector of Marseille (13th and 14th districts). Frédéric Dournayan is vice mayor of the 6th sector (11th and 12th districts).
Two streets of Marseille to have Armenian names
news.am April 14, 2012 | 04:14
Two streets in Marseille, France, will be given names of Armenians Maurice-Torgom Ter-Merkerian and Edmond Piroumian, Nouvelles d`Arménie reports. The two Armenians were volunteers in the French Forces of the Interior (FFI) and died in liberating the city back in 1944.
Prominent Armenians from Marseille
- Robert Guediguian – film director
- Henri Verneuil – film director
- Patrick Fiori (Chouchayan) – singer
- Alain Manoukian – fashion designer
- Didier Parakian – fashion designer
- http://www.ccaf.info/marseille (Co-ordination Council of Armenian Organizations of France)
- http://www.majc13.org (Armenian House of the Youth and the Culture)
- http://nors2marseille.skyrock.com (Dashnak Youth - Armenian Youth Federation)
- http://www.la-jaf.com (Hentchakian Youth - Armenian Youth in France)
- http://www.webaram.com/webaram (Research Association of the Armenian Memory)