Help someone in Armenia today by giving them a micro business loan!
- Fought against the Ottoman Turks in Western Armenia
- Fought against the Ottoman Turks in Bulgaria
- Battle in Van in 1915
- Battle to stop Turks invasion in Eastern Armenia in 1918-19
- In 1919 Andranik disbanded his army and left Armenia with a group of loyal solders rather than be involved in political infighting
- In 1922 he settled in Fresno (USA)
- Died in Richardson Springs, CA in 1927
- Some months later his remnants were conveyed to Per-Lashez cemetery in Paris
- Remains moved to Yerablur cemetery in Yerevan in 2000
ANDRANIK SQUARE IN MEUDON
The French town of Meudon in the south-west of Paris has a square named in honor of Armenian national hero Andranik Ozanian, known simply as General Andranik. Among the people witnessing the historical event were the Armenian ambassador to France Edward Nalbandian, French generals Ferlius and Berrange.
Mayor of Meudon, HervÃ© Marseille, conducted the dedication ceremony, talking about the life of Andranik.
alternate transliteration: General Antranig
General Andranik Ozanian and the Armenian Revolutionary Movement.
Andranik Ozanian, Zoravar Andranik (also Antranik or Antranig), (Armenian: Անդրանիկ Օզանյան, Զորավար Անդրանիկ) (25 February , 1865 – 31 August , 1927 USA) was an Armenian general, political and public activist and freedom fighter, greatly admired as a armenian national hero.
Andranik. "Like an eagle he soars over the mountains and ridges." Andranik Ozanian was born (1865) in historic Shabin-Garahisar ("Shabin-Garahisar, the black fortress," 82 mil. northeast of citi Erzurum). He was destined more, perhaps, than any of the other Armenian revolutionaries, to provide leadership, rationality, acumen, prudence, and effectiveness to Armenia's rising up against the brutal Ottoman oppression. Even during his adolescence Andranik Ozanian recognized the pattern of Ottoman oppression and the sufferings of his people. So it was that at the tender age of 21-22, having lost his wife and 2 children, Zoravar Andranik joined a partisan group formed in his native town. Inspired with the ideals of liberation for his people, Andranik Ozanian went to K.Polis to meet those who had already been deeply involved in the liberation movement. He readily accepted tasks assigned to him.
- 1990: General Andranik,(Zoravar Andranik),director Levon Mkrtchyan,(narration by Khoren Abrahamyan) Armenfilm