Zorats Church

From Armeniapedia.org
Jump to: navigation, search

1303 AD - Vayots Dzor Marz

Zorats Church
Map yerevan.gif
The church of St. Stepanos or Zorats (of the Army), is considered a fine relic of medieval Armenia. It was constructed in the 13th century by Prince Tarsaich Orbelian, governor of the province of Siunik. This church has no hall. It consists only of a central altar with a sacristy on each side. The faithful thus attended divine services in the open air. [Source: Monuments of Armenia]

On a green hill E of Yeghegis Village, S. Zorats cathedral or S. Stepanos, built in 1303 by a grandson of Prince Tarsayich Orbelian. The church has been extensively restored. Its name comes allegedly from the custom of consecrating arms and horses there before battle. [Source: Rediscovering Armenia Guidebook.]


Map




Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Databases
Toolbox