Khndzoresk Village

Jump to: navigation, search
For the cave city of Old Khndzoresk, visit this page.

Khndzoresk (Arm: Խնձորեսկ), Syunik Marz

Crossing the bridge at the entrance to Goris, the road continues toward Lachin and Stepanakert, first passing the turnoff right to Hartashen (653 p, founded 1965-70 from the three small villages of Azatashen/Alighuli, Dzorashen and Aigedzor, with a S. Hripsime Church in one of them, and then the metal archway marking the right turn for Khndzoresk (1954 p). At the far end of Khndzoresk village, turn right {and almost fully around} (straight goes to Nerkin Khndzoresk --184 p) and wind down past a cemetery. A deteriorating dirt track descends into the gorge and the interesting remains of Old Khndzoresk* =70= (39 30.33n x 046 26.00e), a medieval and early modern village largely hewn into the soft rock. You pass a number of artificial caves now used as stables, and other building remains. At the bottom of the gorge, turn downstream to reach a S. Hripsime Church of 1663. On a spur beyond on the right side of the gorge is a 17th c. Anapat (hermitage), with the tomb of Mkhitar Sparapet, who was Davit Bek's chief aide and successor in his war to drive out the infidel Muslims. Mkhitar was murdered in 1730 by the nervous Armenian villagers of Khndzoresk, who had vainly beseeched him to hole up in his own stronghold rather than their village. The Ottoman Pasha in Tabriz, to whom they presented his head, found this treachery distasteful, and decapitated the murderers. The site is green and memorable. There is a 17th c. cave church of S. Tadevos somewhere about, and a couple of 17th c. spring monuments.

Source: Rediscovering Armenia Guidebook