Hyvayov zahd (Lamb/ quince stew)
Hyvayov Zahd (Lamb/quince stew)
2 lbs. lamb neck bones, or 1 lb. boned lamb for stew
4 quince, peeled and quartered
small loaf of crusty bread
1. Place meat in a stockpot, and cover with water.
2. Heat over a low flame until most of the water evaporates, and the meat is detached from the bones.
3. Strain contents of the pot through a sieve or colander.
4. Remove the bones from the sieve, and discard.
5. Place the meat back into the washed stockpot and add 3 cups of water.
6. Heat over a low flame.
7. Add quince, and cook until tender.
Serve with bread, which may be broken into chunks, and dipped in stew gravy.
If served with bulghur pilaf in lieu of bread, reduce water to 2 cups in step 5.