Hnevank Monastery

Jump to: navigation, search

VII - XII AD - Lori Marz

H'nevank Monastery

Hnevank* on a hill inside the dramatically beautiful gorge, near where the Dzoraget and Gargar rivers join. This splendid monastery, decorated with fine stone carving, was built originally in the 7th c., but totally rebuilt by lord Smbat of the then Georgian but later Armenian Orbeli/Orbelian family, ancestor of the Armenian princes of Syunik, in 1144, as a Georgian inscription around the drum attests. There is a gavit of 1186-1206, and several impressive service buildings rise out of the tall grass.[Paragraph Source: Rediscovering Armenia Guidebook.]

H'nevank Monastery - main church