Gouvaj (Lamb, vegetable casserole)
Gouvaj (Lamb/Vegetable Casserole Serves 6
2 lbs. lamb neck bones, or 1 lb. lamb stew
2 lbs. stringbeans, trimmed and halved, lengthwise
2 lbs. zucchini squash, cut into 1 inch slices
1 lb. baby okra, soaked in vinegar, then rinsed well with water
3 small Italian green peppers, trimmed and quartered
1 large onion, sliced
½ cup chopped parsley
8 cloves garlic, whole
1 can tomato paste, diluted with 2 cups water
1 tbsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. red pepper
1. Place meat in the bottom of a roasting pan.
2. Add stringbeans, squash, okra, peppers, onion, parsley, garlic
3. Pour diluted tomato paste over all, and sprinkle the black and red pepper
4. Bake covered for 1 hour in an oven heated to 350ºF.
5. Remove from oven, stir vegetables, and place meat on top.
6. Bake uncovered for 1 hour more.
Serve with crusty bread.
Alternate option: Cook the meat in advance
1. Place meat in a stockpot, and cover with water
2. Boil until the meat separates from the bones
3. Discard the bones, and mix the meat with the vegetables before the second hour of cooking