The village of Garni (6877 p, until 1936 Bash-Gyarni) has been inhabited almost continuously since the 3rd millennium BC, with intermittent plunderings (e.g., Timur Lenk in 1386), earthquakes, etc. The current population derives from the Persian district of Maku, in an exchange of populations in 1829-30 following the Russo-Persian treaty of Turkmanchay. Medieval remains in the village include a ruined 4th c. single-aisle church (SE part of village), the 11th c. Astvatsatsin church (in the center), and the 12th c. “Little” or “Mashtots Hayrapet” church. There are also shrines of Tukh Manuk (NE), S. Sargis (NW on hilltop), and Queen Katranide (S of the fortress).
The Garni Gorge with it's basalt cliffs, below the village, is also well worth a stop. A great spot for a picnic.
<googlemap lat="40.112435" lon="44.729837" zoom="13"> 40.112435,44.729837, Garni Temple </googlemap>