Armenian General Benevolent Union
Armenian General Benevolent Union (AGBU)
Established in 1906
To preserve and promote the Armenian identity and heritage through educational, cultural and humanitarian programs.
USD $36 million
24 Primary, Secondary, Preparatory and Saturday Schools. International Scholarship Grants and Loans. American University of Armenia.
National and International
Athletic games; summer internships; AGBU News magazine; AIS News; Ararat Magazine; Hoosharar; publications; lectures; theater; films and concerts. Armenia: American University of Armenia; Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Center; Armenia Philharmonic; Nork, Arapkir and Malatya Children's Centers; Sevan Theological Seminary; Gyumri Cold Food Storage facility; Yerevan, Sevan, Hrazdan and Etchmiadzin Soup Kitchens; Gyumri Academy of Music and Art.
Centers, schools, chapters, and offices
Argentina: Buenos Aires, Cordoba; Armenia: Yerevan; Australia: Sydney, Melbourne; Austria: Vienna; Belgium: Brussels; Brazil: Sao Paulo; Bulgaria: Sofia, Plovdiv, Varna; Canada: Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver; Cyprus: Nicosia, Larnaca, Limassol; Egypt: Cairo, Heliopolis, Alexandria; England: London, Manchester; Ethiopia: Addis Ababa; France: Paris, Marseille, Nice, Lyons, Valence, Vienne, St. Chamond; Greece: Athens, Salonika; Holland: Almelo; Iran: Teheran; Italy: Milan; Lebanon: Beirut, Antelias, Tripoli, Zahlé; Switzerland: Geneva; Syria: Aleppo, Damascus, Kamishli, Kessab, Latakia, Yacoubieh; Uruguay: Montevideo; United States: Arlington, Boston, Canoga Park, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale, Fresno, Glendale, Los Angeles, Manhattan, Miami, Nassau County, New England District, Oakland, Orange County, Pasadena, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Providence, San Fernando Valley, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Washington D.C.
Central board of directors
- President - Berge Setrakian
- Vice Presidents - Arshavir Gundjian
- Treasurer - Sam Simonian
- Secretary - Berge Papazian
- Honorary Member - His Holiness Karekin II, Catholicos of All Armenians
- Chairman of the Board -
- Vice Chairman - Nazar Nazarian
- Members - Argentina - Ruben Kechichian. France - Aris Atamian, Levon Kebabdjian. Switzerland - Vahe Gabrache. Syria - Vasken Yacoubian. United States - M. Michael Ansour, Carol Bagdasarian Aslanian, Joseph Basralian, Yervant Demirjian, [Nazareth Festekjian], Sarkis Jebejian, Levon Nazarian, Sinan Sinanian, Dickran Tevrizian.
- Directors Emeriti - Barry Zorthian
- Council of Trustees - Sarkis Demirdjian, Richard Manoogian, Nazar Nazarian, Louise Manoogian Simone, Karnig Yacoubian.
- Melkonian Educational Institute
- AGBU Camp Nubar
- AGBU Ararat Quarterly
- AGBU News Magazine
- AGBU FOCUS
- AGBU Nubar Library
- Melkonian University Complex