Zoravar Church of Zoravan
Some 4 km past the Yeghvard zigzag, at the entrance to the village of Zoravan (1175 p, formerly Pokravan), is a small cemetery on the left, turning at which one reaches after a few hundred yards the Zoravar church, a ruined circular church and graveyard, built by Prince Grigor Mamikonian (661-685), on the lower slopes of Mt. Ara. In the cemetery above is a small funerary chapel. (Source: Rediscovering Armenia Guidebook)
The Zoravar many-apsed church is situated around 2km from Yeghvard. According to the historians (661-685) it was built by Armenia's head Grigor Mamikonyan. The bottom part of the building (only the northern half preserved) is 18-naved from outside, with 8 large triangle bays, and the top part is the dome, polyhedral from outside and with cylindrical drum from inside.
In interior, between the apses arches lean on the pillars wich together with the arches of the dome carry the drum. The passage from the dome-supporting square to the dome is realized by sails. The decorations of the monument, different geometrical and animal motives, beautifully processed cornices make this not very large monument look monumental.
<googlemap lat="40.363387" lon="44.509197" zoom="12"> 40.363387,44.509197, Zoravar Church </googlemap>