Deuzma (Squash, eggplant, lamb casserole)
DOUZMA (Eggplant, Squash, Lamb Casserole)
1 1/2 lb. ground lamb
3 small eggplants sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch disks
3 small zucchini squash sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch disks
2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2 in. disks
1- 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp allspice (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix meat with salt, pepper, allspice, and one tablespoon tomato paste, then form meat into patties, about ½ inch thick.
3. Arrange all of the above vegetables and meat patties alternately, in a standing position in a large roasting or casserole pan (approx. 9"x 13"). Note pan size will vary depending on the amount of ingredients used.
4. Dilute remaining tomato paste in 1 cup water.
5. Pour diluted tomato paste over the meat and vegetables.
6. Bake for one hour and 45 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, and the top begins to brown.
Serve with crusty bread and shepherd’s salad.