Bjni Fortress

From Armeniapedia.org
(Redirected from Bjhni Fortress)
Jump to: navigation, search

XI AD - Kotayk Marz

Bjni Fortress - walls all over hillside.
In the time of the Bagratuni(s) B'jni fell under the domain of the Pahlavuni(s), who built a fortress and a church there in the 11th century. The church, dedicated to Surb Astvadzadzin (the blessed Virgin Mary), was erected in 1031 by order of Prince Grigor Magistros. Of small size, this sanctuary, planned as a cupola'd hall, presents a simple exterior architecture, crowned with a round drum and an umbrella-like dome. To the east of the church are some admirable khachkars. Of the impregnable fortress of Bjni still remain fragments of the north and the west fortified walls, the secret passage and some miscellaneous buildings. (Monuments Of Armenia)


Map




Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Databases
Toolbox