Western Armenia, loosely defined as those parts of Historic Armenia which were under the rule of the Ottoman Empire, or sometimes more concretely defined as the six Armenian vilayets of the Ottoman Empire were virtually completely depopulated of Armenians during centuries of persecution, kidnappings of Armenian girls, massacres, and finally the Armenian Genocide. The Armenian history and presence in these parts of Anatolia stretched back for over 3,000 years and ever since the genocide Turkish government has allowed - through neglect and deliberate policy - most traces of the Armenian presence to be destroyed and lost, while simultaneously preventing Armenians from returning or reclaiming their old homes and monuments. Dozens of Armenian dialects were lost, as the dispersed Armenian survivors learned the standardized Constantinople dialect of Armenian in order to be able to understand one another.
This section is a repository of information on the Armenian presence and history in these parts.
- Kars Province (Կարս Նահանգ) - this province of the same name has straddled the divide between eastern and western Armenia for centuries. Because today it lays west of the border of Armenia, it will be included in Western Armenia.
- Batum Province (Բաթում Նահանգ) - Like the Kars Province, the Batum Province has straddled the divide between eastern and western Armenia for centuries. However, this region has tended to hold greater historical importance for Georgia than Armenia. It is named for the city of Batum (now Batumi, Georgia) and most of the province's northern territory is now part of the Georgian autonomous region of Adjara. Thus, only the Artvin area is included here and because it lays west of the border of Armenia, it will be also included in Western Armenia.
- Batumi Province (Բաթումի Նահանգ)
- Trebizond Province (Տրապիզոն Նահանգ)
- Sivas Province (Սըվազ Նահանգ, Սեբաստիա)
- Ankara Province (Անգորա Նահանգ)
- Adana Province (Ադանա Նահանգ)
- Haleb Province (Հալեպ Նահանգ)
- Kharpert Province (Խարբերդ Նահանգ)
- Diyarbekir/Amed Province (Դիարբեքիր Նահանգ)
- Bitlis Province (Բիթլիս Նահանգ)
- Erzerum Province (Էրզրում Նահանգ)
- Van Province (Վան Նահանգ)
Metskert (Մեծկերտ, Мецкерт). was added, but what is it?