Help someone in Armenia today by giving them a micro business loan!

Sivas

From Armeniapedia.org
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(MY grandpas town.)
m (Reverted edits by AnthoneyK (talk) to last revision by Raffi)
 
Line 57: Line 57:
 
[[Category:Western Armenia]]
 
[[Category:Western Armenia]]
 
[[Category:Needs Translation to English]]
 
[[Category:Needs Translation to English]]
 
https://westarmgen.weebly.com/sepastia-the-region-or-the-great-region-of-sepastia/the-region-of-sivas
 

Latest revision as of 05:21, 15 October 2018

Sivas (aka Sebastia/Sepasdia/Sepastia) Սեբաստիա (Սըվազ)

The eastern part of Sivas once formed the ancient kingdom of Lesser Armenia, the province later being called Armenia by the Romans and Byzantines. The Byzantines allows Armenians to settle there in large numbers, and even gave the city of Sivas and the surrounding district to Armenian King Senekerim-Yovhannes (Sennarcherib-John) in exchange for his kingdom which was centered at Van. Some sources say that 14,000 families (approx. 70,000 people) moved to the entire Sivas district with the king. This concentration of Armenians faded during Ottoman rule which began in 1403 (though they temporarily controlled it from 1398-1399). By the late 1800s, Armenians were concentrated primarily in the sanjaks of Sivas and Tokat, which were commercial centers.

According to the Armenian Patriarchate the Armenian population in Sivas Vilayet in 1882 was 280,000, while by the year 1912 it had dropped to 165,000. Other estimates, for the time period primarily give a somewhat higher number, with McCarthy giving the figure of 182,912.

Sivas was the birthplace of Mekhitar in 1676, the founder of the Mekhitarist Order.

Contents

Needs translation to English

Sivas City

Սըվազ, (Сваз, Sivas), Սեբաստիա, Դիոպոիս, Դիոսպոլիս, Կաբիրա, Կապիրա, Մեգապոլիս, Մեղապոլիս, Սաբասթիա, Սավաստ, Սեբաստ, Սեբաստացվոց քաղաք, Սեբաստե, Սեբաստեա, Սեվազ, Սեվաս, Սեվաստ, Սեվաստա, Սեվաստիա, Սեվաստո, Սրվազ, Սիվաս, Սվազ, Սվաս, Սուազ, Սուվազ, Տրիսուպոլիս, Օգոստոս, Օգոստոսական - Քաղաք պատմական Փոքր Հայքում, Ալիս գետի վերին հոսանքի աջ կողմում, Մարագում լ-ան ստորոտում փռված ընղարձակ հովտում, 1348 մ բարձր վրա: Դիրքը գեղեցիկ է, կլիման՝ ցամաքային, ձմռանը խիստ ցուրտ է, ամռանը՝ շոգ, որի պատճառով ք-ում տարածված Էին ջեր մախտն ու թոքերի հիվանդությունը: Խմելու և ոռոգելու ջուրը թեև առատ է, սակայն ք-ը բուսականությամբ համեմատաբար աղքատ է: Ք-ում և շրջակայքում աճում են լայնատերև ուռենիներ, բարդիներ և կաղամախիներ: Հողը բերրի է ու արգավանդ` պիտանի մա նավանդ հացահատիկների մշակության համար: Ք-ով է հոսում Աստղիկ գետակը (ստորին հոսանքը կոչվում է Մուրտառ), որի մեջ է թափվում ք-ի ամբողջ աղտեղությունը: Ք-ի տարածքով են անցնում նաև Բրգնիկի ջուր և Կապուտիկ գետակները, որոնց վարարումները հաճախ վնասում են ք-ին: Ս-ի մոտ է գտնվում Սեբաստիայի փոքրիկ լճակը: Գետերի վրա կան մի քանի քարաշեն կամուրջներ, որոնցից մեկը՝ 15 կամարով: Վերջինս, ըստ հիշատակությունների, կառուցել է տվել Վասպուրականի հայոց թագավոր Սենեքերիմի դուստր Շուշանիկը 11-րդ դ: Ք-ում և շրջակայաքում կան հանքային աղբյուրներ, ավազի, գիպսի, մարմարի հանքեր: Ս-ի տարածքում պահպանվել են երկու ավերակ բերդեր՝ Վերին և Ստորին բերդ անուններով: Աոաջինը քարաշեն է, կառ բլրի վրա, որի տարածքում 19-րդ դ վերջերին ապրում էին 40-50 տ հայեր և թուրքեր: Ստորին բերդը գտնվում է լ-ան ստորոտին և ուներ մոտ 150 տ թուրք բնակիչ:

The historical population figures on Sivas are not reliable and exact. In ancient times (Հնում) the population is estimated at 12,000 and in the 19th century to beginning of 20th century from 60-90,000, of which nearly half were Armenian, while the remaining were Turks, with a small numbers of Greeks. They worked in commerce, grain production, the production of cigarettes, and animal husbandry. In the crafts, carpetmaking, կտավագործությունը, and fur (մորթեղենի) production were widespread. Most craftspeople were Armenian. The craft workshops and shops were located in the city's markets and squares. In Sivas there was the Karasun Mangants Monastery, S Asdvadzadzin, S Sarkis, S Nshan, S Krikor Lusavorich, S Prgich, S Minas, S Hagop, S Kevork, S Vlas (Armenian Catholic), a few mosques that had been converted from Armenian churches, as well as the S Yeranos church which the Turks later converted to a mosque. At the end of the 19th, beginning of 20th century in Sivas there were the function Aramian, Torkomian, Mkhitarian, Nersisian, and Sahagian schools (վարժարաններն) and Swiss, American and French schools. Until 1915 there functioned in the city the Armenian Hospital (հայկական Ազգային հիվանդանոցը), the Help the Poor Organization (Աղքատախնամ ընկերությունը) the orphanage, the kindergarten, and the Senekerimian, Antsnver, and Lusaper cultural organizations. Also beginning in 1870 there was a theater group.

The Gregorian Armenians had 10 boys and 3 girls schools, the protestants 7 boys and 1 girls. "Antranig" (1909-12), "Hoghtar" (1910-14) and other periodicals were published in Sivas.

19-րդ դ երկրորդ կեսից ողջ Արմ Հայաստանի հետ խիստ ծանրացավ նաև Ս-ի հայերի վիճակը, 1895 թ կոտորածների ժամա նակ ք-ում սպանվեցին ավելի քան 1500 հայեր: Նրանց ունեցվածքը կողոպտվեց, տներն ու խանութները քարուքանդ արվեցին, իսկ 1915 թ հունիսի 25-ին ք-ի հայությունը տեղահանվեց ու քշվեց Տեր Զորի անապատը, որտեղից միայն քչերը կարողա ցան փրկվել: 1918-ից հետո շուրջ 1500 սեբասաացիներ այս ու այն կողմից եկան ու կրկին հաստատվեցին իրենց հայրենի ք-ում: Հետագայում թեև նրանց թիվը եռապատկվեց, սակայն գոյատևելու երաշխիք չկար: Դրա համար 1920-ական թթ շատերի նման Ս-ի հայերի մեծ մասը նույնպես տեղափոխվեց Խորհրդային Հայաստան ու հիմնականում բնակություն հաստատեց Երևանի մոտ, Նոր Սեբասաիա նորաշեն թաղամասում (այժմ Երևան ք-ի շրջագծում): Այժմ Ս-ում ապրում են շատ քիչ թվով հայեր: Այն Սեբասաիայի նահ-ի (վիլայեթի) կենտրոնն է և ունի շուրջ 150000 բնակիչ:

Ս-ի հիմնադրման ճշգրիտ թվականը հայտնի չէ: Ենթադրվում է, որ այն գոյութ յուն է ունեցել 100–150 տարի մթա որպես սրբավայր և կոչվել է Կաբիրա (ստորերկրյա աստվածների՝ կաբիրաների անունով): Հին Ս գտնվելիս է եղել այժմյան ք-ից 6–8 կմ արլ, Գաբրազ գ-ի տարածքում: Ս վերակա ռուցվել, ք է դարձել Պոնտոսի թագավոր Միհրդատ 6-րդ Եվպատորի ժամանակ (111– 63 թթ մթա): 66 թ ք գրավել է հռոմեա կան զորավար Պոմպեոսը և կոչել Դիոպոլիս: 30-ական թթ (մ.թ.ա.) այն տրվել է Հռոմի դաշնակից Պոլեմոն I-ին, որի կնոջ՝ Պյութոդորոսի ժամանակ այն դարձավ թագավորական նստավայր՝ Օգոստոս կամ Օգոստոսական անուններով: Դիոկղետիանոս կայսեր (284-305) ժամանակ Ս Փոքր Հայք պրովինցիայի, իսկ 335 թ՝ Առաջին Հայքի, 536-ից՝ Երկրորդ Հայքի մայրաքաղաքն էր: 7-րդ դարից Ս Հայկական եկեղեցական թեմի կենտրոնն էր: 1021 թ, երբ Ս Բյուզան դիայի կողմից տրվեց Վասպուրականի Հա յոց թագավոր Սենեքերիմին, հազարավոր հայեր վասպուրականից տեղափոխվեցին և վերաբնակվեցին Ս-ում ու նրա շրջակայքում: Այդ ժամանակից սկսած ք ապրեց տնտեսական ու մշակութային վերելք, որը, ցավոք, կարճ տևեց: 1060-ական թթ ք գրավեցին թուրք սելջուկները, 1240-ական թթ այն անցավ մոնղոլների ձեռքը: Հայերի հա մա՜ր սկսվեցին դաժան ժամանակներ: 1400 թ 15-օրյա պաշարումից հետո Լենկթեմուրի հրոսակները ք գրավեցին և ողջ-ողջ թաղեցին 4000 հայերի: Ավերվեցին բազմաթիվ տներ ու եկեղեցիներ: 1413 թ Ս գրավեցին օսմանյան թուրքերը: Հետագա ժամանակներում, մինչև 18-րդ դ Ս անընդհատ տուժում էր թուրք-պարսկական ավերիչ պատերազմ ներից, որոնք ուղեկցվում էին համաճարակ ներով, սովով ու ավերածություններով: Տիրողների դաժան լուծը թոթափելու աոաջին փորձը կատարել են Ս-ի հայերը: 1562 թ այստեղ Միքայել Ա Սեբաստացի կաթողիկոսի (1562-1576) հրավիրած գաղտնի բարձր ժողովը որոշում ընդունեց դիմել եվրոպական պետությունների ու Հռոմի պապի օգնությանը: ժողովին մասնակցում էին 30 բարձրաստիճան հոգևորականներ, առևտրականներ ու արհեստավորներ: 19-20-րդ դդ Ս Սեբաստիայի նահ-ի և գավ-ի կենտրոնն էր:

Ս վաղ միջնադարից սկսած կարևոր դեր է կատարել մշակույթի և եկեղեցական ու հասարակական կյանքում: 405-425 թթ Կոստանդնոայոլսի պատրիարքի պաշտոնը զբաղեցրել է Ատտիկոս Սեբաստացին: 11–րդ դ այստեղ է իր վերջին օրերը անցկացրել Հայոց կաթողիկոս Պետրոս Ա Գետադարձը (1019-1058):

1066 թ Ս- ում են դասավանդել Փիլիպոս քահանան և նրա Սահակ ու Ստեփանոս որ դիները: 1908-10-ական թթ ք-ում և նրա շրջակայքում դպրոցներ բացելու գործում մեծ աշխատանք է կատարել հայտնի ֆիդա յի Սեբաստացի Մուրադը: Այդ տարիներին Ս-ում ուսուցչություն է արել նաև Դանիել Վարուժանը: Ս-ում են ծնվել Իտալիայի ս Ղազար կղզում հայկական Մխիթարյան միաբանության հիմնադիր Մխիթար Սեբաս տացին (1676-1749), պատմիչ Հովհ. Սեբաստացին, ամերիկահայ հրապարակախոս, բանասեր Մարտիրոս Անանիկյանը (1875–1924), ամերիկյան բանվորական շարժման գործիչ Արամ Զարդարյանը (1876 թ), դերասան, ռեժիսոր Տրդատ Նշանյանը (1892–1962), ջութակահար, կոմպոզիտոր Հրանատ Գլըճյանը (1896 թ), դերասան Արտաշես Գմբեթյանը (1900 թ), հայ խորհրդային կինոօպերատոր, արվեստի վաստակավոր գործիչ Գարեգին Արամյանը (1908 թ), նկա րիչ Երվանդ Ամատունին (1902-1968), բանասեր Պարույր Ասատուրը (1882 թ), դերասան Կարապետ Արծրունյանը (1907թ), նկարիչ Երվանդ Արյանը (1894-1931), սփյուռքահայ կրթական, հասարակական գործիչ Գրիգոր Կիրակոսյանը (1888 թ), նկարիչ Ռիշար ժերանյանը (1921 թ), բժիշկ Ն. Տաղավարյանը, դրամատուրգ Զ. Պտուկյանը և շատ ուրիշներ: Պահպանվել են 12–17-րդ դդ Ս-ում ընդօրինակված հայերեն շատ ձեռագրեր:

Sivas Province

Սեբաստիայի գավառ, Себастиайи гавар, Sebastiayi gavar, Կաբիրա, Կապիրա, Սևաստ, Սիվաս, Սիվաս Էլի, Սվազ, Սվաս - Գավառ պատմական Փոքր Հայ քում, Սեբաստիայի նահ-ում, նրա արլ և հս–արլ կողմում: Սահմանակից էր հս-ից՝ Թոկատի և Շապին Գարահիսարի, արլ-ից` Երզնկայի գավ-ներին, հր-արլ-ից՝ Խարբերդի, հր-ից՝ Կեսարիայի նահ-ներին: Կենտրո նը Սեբաստիա ք էր: Ս-ի գավ-ի մեջ մտնում էին մի քանի գվռկ-ներ՝ Ազիզե, Թոնուս, Սե բաստիա, Հաֆիք, Տևրիկ, Կյուրին ևն, որոնք ունեն մի քանի տասնյակ գ–ախմրեր: Գավ-ի տարածքը, ոչ հավաստի տըվյալնհրով, կազ մում Էր 34000 քառ կմ: Նահ-ի ամենախիտ բնակեցված գավ-ն Էր, որտեղ հայերի թիվը 1914 թ հասնում էր 55000-ի: Գավ-ն այն ժա մանակ ուներ հայկական 6 վանք և 46 եկեղեցի:

Ս-ի գավ-ի բնակչությունը զբաղվում էր հացահատիկի մշակությամբ, անասնապա հությամբ, արհեստներով ու առևտրով: 1915 թ մեծ եղեռնի ժամանակ գավ-ի հայերի զգալի մասը ոչնչացվեց, մյուսները՝ տարագրվեցին:

Turkish army to return Armenian church located on base

Author Erhan Ozturk
Posted December 10, 2013
Translator(s)Timur Goksel

The Turkish army is making an important contribution to the decision to return the property of minority foundations.

As part of a wider plan aimed at returning properties to minority groups, the Turkish army will return an Armenian church located on a military base to the Armenian community in Sivas.

Surp Kevork Armenian church, which is located inside the Sivas-Temeltepe 5th Infantry Training Brigade's base, will be restored and handed over to the Friends of Armenians Association of Sivas. Sebuk Kocak, the president of the Friends of Armenians Association of Sivas expressed his pleasure in a statement to Sabah. "The church has been inside that military zone since 1940. For many years, we were not allowed to go near it. This summer we went to the brigade with our friends. The commander allowed us in and we were able to see our church after so many years. Frankly, we were not expecting to be given permission [to enter]. We were all happy. We didn’t have a church where we could worship and pay respect to our dead," he said.

Before 1915, the Armenians had 198 churches and 21 monasteries in the Sivas region. The only one still standing is the Surp Kevork Church. There is an Armenian cemetery near it. Turkish Minister of Defense Ismet Yilmaz, who hails from Sivas, was personally involved in the work to return the church. Association officials visited the minister in October and asked him to restore and return the church. Yilmaz told them that the government had made serious efforts to return the properties of minorities. He promised them that he would try to expedite the return of the property after restoration was completed.

Yilmaz later went to Sivas and instructed the governor of Sivas, Zubeyir Kemelek, and his deputy, Salih Ayhan, to start the work.

The church has been inside a military zone for 73 years, thus saving it from treasure hunters. The church has little damage and should be restored quickly.

Gov. Kemelek also spoke to Sabah. "It is the only structure that is standing with its walls and roof intact. The minister responded to the request made to him by coming and inspecting it. It is good fortune that the church was inside a military zone. As soon as formalities are competed we will ask for bids for restoration, which will not deviate from the original. I have asked our Armenian citizens to bring photographs of it," he said.

Deputy Gov. Ayhan, who is coordinating the restoration work, said the church will be removed from the guarded military zone. He added, "That military base has been the largest military training base in the region since the 1940s. It is also a training center for our border units. The church occupies an area of about five acres in the military zone. We asked for its return from the Treasury and they wrote their approval to the Ministry of Defense. As soon the Defense Ministry agrees, that land will be handed over to us. Then the restoration will commence.”

Architect Zakarya Mildanoglu, who was in the delegation that visited Yilmaz, said, "Our people don’t have a place of worship and somewhere that they can pay their respects to their dead in Sivas. There is one cemetery. After the Armenian deportation, churches were destroyed in many parts of Anatolia. Similar places exist in other military zones. I hope the procedures will be completed quickly."

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/culture/2013/12/turkey-army-return-church-armenian-military-base.html


This article contains text from a source with a copyright. Please help us by extracting the factual information and eliminating the rest in order to keep the site in accordance to fair use standards, or by obtaining permission for reuse on this site..



Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Databases
Toolbox