Saghi bourma (Rolled pastry w/walnuts)
1- 1 lb. pkg. fillo dough, at room temperature
1 lb. chopped walnuts or pistachio nuts
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3 sticks unsalted butter, melted
1. Lay out the fillo dough on a work surface and cover it with a dry towel.
2. Mix the chopped nuts, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
3. Take a single fillo sheet and fold it in half. Brush with melted butter, especially the edges.
4. Sprinkle a tablespoon of the nut mixture all over the dough.
5. Place the dowel on top of the dough at the end closest to you, and loosely roll the dowel away from you.
6. With one hand on either end of the dough, squeeze inward toward the middle, crinkling the dough.
7. Gently slide it off the dowel, and place on a greased baking sheet.
8. Continue to do this until all fillo sheets and filling are used.
9. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until boorma is golden brown.
10. Cool completely.
11. Once the boorma is cooled, drizzle each one with simple syrup just before serving. The boorma will be slightly sweet, and crispy.
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
A drop of lemon juice
Heat the sugar & water in a saucepan, until sugar is dissolved, then add
lemon juice. Cool until ready to use.
Note: Saghi bourma, (also known as Sari bourma) is a variant of Sarughuh bourma,
which, in Turkish, means Sultan’s turban.