Armenian Protestant Church
The Armenian Evangelical community was formally recognized in 1846 by the Ottoman government, after "painful clashes" between church authorities and the "reformers"-- those within the Mother Church who wished to “reestablished” the church’s true evangelical mission. The beginning of Armenian Protestantism is traced back to the 19th century missionary activities of the American Board of Missions, which expanded an aggressive mission throughout Asia Minor. As a result of the continued affiliation of the Armenian Evangelicals with American missionary organizations, many schools and colleges were established during the second half of the 19th century, which benefited thousands Armenians living in the Ottoman Empire.
Page based on excerpt from http://www.sain.org/Armenian.Church/intro.txt Hratch Tchilingirian, The Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church (www.sain.org) 1996. Copyright 1996.