Capital of Ethiopia, and once the main center of the Armenian community in that country, which numbered in the thousands.
"Yarmenoch Sefer" or Armenian Quarter was well known district by many residents of Addis Ababa. It was very well-defined area which starts from the furniture store of Mosvold on HIM Haile Sellassie Ave going all the way to Ras Makonnen Bridge, to Karaseferian, ending at the Armenian Church (Arba Dereja).
Armenians were primarily buried at Gulele Cemetery. There were two Armenian cemeteries, old and new, although Armenians were also buried in the International Cemetery section. Source: http://www.anglo-ethiopian.org/publications/articles.php?type=A&reference=publications/articles/2008winter/cemetery.php
Old Armenian Cemetery
The oldest part of the international cemetery is the old Armenian cemetery, donated in 1912 by Hagop Bagdasarian, goldsmith and director of the Imperial Mint established by Emperor Menelik II, to the Armenian community. Until then, the Armenian community – it was the only one allowed to do so – buried its dead in the cemetery of St. George Church on Menelik II Square. Many tombs bear the year of death 1917 or 1918, indicating that many Armenians were victims of the influenza epidemic.
New Armenian Cemetery
The Armenian community is the owner of this walled-in cemetery; the area was bought by the Armenian community in 1961-62 from the son of Bagdasarian when it became clear that no more burials were possible in the old Armenian cemetery. There are 282 burials in the old Armenian cemetery and 267 in the new cemetery giving a total of 549 (not identical with number of graves, which is less).
Armenians from Addis Ababa
These are Armenians who were born or who have lived in Addis Ababa: