2019 August 12
Anti-Corruption & News from Armenia - Aug/12/2019
Disclaimer: All the accused are innocent until proven guilty by the court of law, even if they may sound as being guilty. Currency in Armenian Drams unless specified otherwise.
Young Armenian boxers won 9 medals (1,3,5) in the European Championship.
There is a thing called Astronomy Olympiad. Students won 2 silver and 3 bronze medals.
Grandmaster Levon Aronyan defeated world champion Magnus Carlsen while playing with black figures, during St. Louis (Grand Chess Tour) blitz tournament. He is the leader so far.
Grandmaster Zaven Andriasyan shared the 1-2 places in Greece Kavana Open tournament.
Ethiopians have planted 3.5 billion trees this year so far. In the last century, the share of lands covered in forests went from 35% to 4%.
10 sensors have been installed in Stepanavan forests to catch illegal logging. Th sensors can catch sounds produced by sawing equipment. They cover 10km area and transmit GPS coordinates to the forest protection agency.
Some businesses dumped oil in a river and nearby storks (արագիլ) got sick. Environmentalists are asking for the businesses to be found and punished.
During a summit held by Caspian nations, Iran's Behruz Namdari voiced an opposition to the proposed Turkmenistan-Azerbaijan gas pipeline that could transport Turkmen gas to Europe. Iran says the project will harm the environment. Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan are yet to agree on how to share the bordering natural resources beneath the Caspian.
Other Source : ABC news
Georgian tourism suffered $60mln in losses due to Russia travel ban. The number of tourists rose 8% in 1H19. One large Russian tour agency says demand to Armenia rose 25% YoY. Demand to Georgia fell 2x.
Drama between the acting rector of State Economics University and several teachers. Rector wants to lay off some of them, alleging poor ratings. A teacher accused rector of falsifying his resume. Rector denied. Both sides are throwing accusations. Rector says a teacher was eating khachapuri during the exams. 🍿
Rector was accused of copying his dissertation from elsewhere. Rector said the dissertation writing has long had this issue, but denied doing it himself. He accused his accusers of plagiarism and said his original works are cited in other researches, unlike theirs.
The rector is complaining that the university's diploma has become a paperweight, and businesses complain that the graduates don't have basic skills.
He says the practice of "intervening through connections" to help failing students pass an exam, is over. This has resulted in 125 students dropping out due to poor grades.
He says they implemented a system in which the university hires a student to provide them experience to make it easier to find work later.
Yerevan municipality has removed the big ad billboard hanging above the heads of people who play chess near the "Moscow" movie theater, citing safety reasons.
The city will tighten the enforcement of rules prohibiting large trucks from entering city's center, and polluting the streets while driving.
Several bus stations have new AR-enabled ads about anti-domestic violence. You can scan an ad with Arloopa app and watch the video.
Alcohol production up in 1H19 vs 1H18. Cognac 44%, wine 43%, vodka 37%, beer 20%, non-alcoholic mineral waters 23%, whisky 15%.
The government gave a piece of land in Ararat province to a charity organization "Armenian Caritas" to build a mini-city for disabled children. The complex will house 600 kids. It will have a kindergarten, school, medical center, sports center, teach skills, allow them to apply the skills in the businesses located in the complex, disability accessibility.
Update: "Artik" company, co-sponsored by Swiss-Armenian investor Vartak Sirmakes, received a tax waiver on Dec-8-2019 to invest 6bln ($13 million) in a textile factory in Maralik city. The factory opened in Saturday. 41 employees will be trained, then 109 more will be hired in the first stage. 300 tons of thread will be produced each month for now.
Summer 2019 military draft: 15% more recruits, 60% fewer complaints YoY.
Today an 19 year old Armenian soldier, presumably due to mistreatment in his unit, left the positions and turned himself in to the Azeri side.
Prosecution of corruption by officials in Tavush province rose by 40% in 1H19 vs 1H18. The uncovered embezzled money was 4.5x higher.
Who are all the former high ranking officials and their friends who are under a felony investigation and the police cannot reach to them so far?
- Former Defense Minister Mikael Harutyunyan. March 1st abuse of power case. Turns out he was a Russian citizen and is now hiding in Russia. Russia decided not to extradite him to Armenia because their constitution prohibits it.
- Former March 1st chief investigator Vahagn Harutyunyan. March 1st , falsification of evidence, abuse of power case. His location is unknown.
- Former HHK MP and Minister of Nature Protection Aram Harutyunyan. $14 million mining license bribery, money laundering case. Location unknown.
- Levon Sargsyan, Serj's brother. Illegal enrichment, hiding property, tax evasion. Location unknown. Rumors point to Lebanon.
- Narek Sargsyan (Franklin Gonzalez), Serj's nephew. Illegal possession or dealing of weapons, narcos, explosives case. Location Czech Republic. Waiting for an extradition hearing. Rumors say he might seek "asylum" in a "third nation".
- Ara Minasyan. Serj's relative. Former St. Gregory Illuminator hospital chief. Document falsification and large scale medical subsidy scam case.
- Panamapaperboy Mihran Poghosyan. Large scale embezzlement, abuse of power case. Location Russia. Waiting for an extradition hearing. Doesn't appear to be under a house arrest as claimed by Russian authorities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2HAHOGM3WI
Sevan Startup Summit 2019 ends. Here are the winners...
These boys are headed to front-lines. But first....
Link to original report: https://www.reddit.com/r/armenia/comments/cphce5/anticorruption_news_from_armenia_aug122019/
|2018 Daily Armenia Reports|
|2019 Daily Armenia Reports|